Tuesday, November 04, 2003

"Plein Air" Norcross - ink sketch barber shop

Norcross Georgia barber shop 2003 pen ink sketch plein air by artist Jillian Crider
A couple of weeks ago I went with a 'Plein Air' art group to old town Norcross, Georgia. It's a delightful place, and the weather was stunning.
I have long wanted to paint outdoors - I grew up thinking that was what artists DID do, anyway, when saw photos of them at canvases painting outdoors. I had made some solo attempts in the past, but not with a group.
I didn't have the right equipment but made do with a folding stool & tv table.
Straight away my eyes were drawn to the barber shop, and despite the temptation (and perhaps a little trepidation), I settled down to draw with pen & ink. I felt that paints were such a BIG step for me to take.
(UPDATE: This was later purchased by the shop owner.  I was delighted.)

I dashed into it, and in hind-sight I should have taken more time to plan it, but it turned out quite well. All who saw it became smitten with the olde-world look I'd given it, and the owner actually ended up asking to buy it.
There was a lovely lunch with my new artist friends as it was the first time meeting with them, also.
Later I explored the shops. Loved the 'Best of British' shop and plan to go back, and the antique store next door to it yielded a host of treasures - it's one of the best antique shops I've been in since I've been in Georgia.
Stay tuned for more adventures (when I remember to write them).
Regards,
~Jillian
www.JillianCrider.com

No comments:

Post a Comment