Tuesday, November 04, 2003

"Plein Air" Norcross - ink sketch barber shop


A couple of weeks ago I went with a 'Plein Air' art group to old town Norcross. It's a delightful place, and the weather was stunning.
I have long wanted to paint outdoors - I grew up thinking that was what artists DID do, anyway, when saw photos of them at canvases painting outdoors.
I didn't have the right equipment but made do with a folding stool & tv table.
Straight away my eyes were drawn to the barber shop, and despite the temptation (and perhaps a little trepidation), I settled down to draw with pen & ink. I felt that paints were such a BIG step for me to take.
I dashed into it, and in hind-sight I should have taken more time to plan it, but it turned out quite well. All who saw it became smitten with the olde world look I'd given it, and the owner actually ended up asking to buy it.
There was a lovely lunch with my new artist friends as it was the first time meeting with them, also.
Later I explored the shops. Loved the 'Best of British' shop and plan to go back, and the antique store next door to it yielded a host of treasures - it's one of the best antique shops I've been in since I've been in Georgia.
Stay tuned for more adventures (when I remember to write them).
Regards,
Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment